Green - Dead Whale Ingested 99 Kilos Of Sea Waste
A juvenile Sperm Whale was found dead on a beach in Scotland with nearly 100 kilograms of plastic and other waste inside its stomach, bringing more attention to the garbage choking this planet's seas.
The young male whale died Thursday on Seilebost beach on the Isle of Harris in the Outer Hebrides. Workers from the Scottish Marine Animal Stranding Scheme (SMASS) discovered a huge ball of debris in the whale's stomach during the necropsy. The wad of plastic cups, fishing nets, rope, packing straps, and bags "exploded" from the creature's stomach as they cut it open.
"This amount of plastic in the stomach is nonetheless horrific, must have compromised digestion, and serves to demonstrate, yet again, the hazards that marine litter and lost or discarded fishing gear can cause to marine life," the group said in a statement. "It is also perhaps a good example that this is a global issue caused by a whole host of human activities. This whale had debris in its stomach which seemed to have originated from both the land and fishing sectors."
As the earth's oceans become more and more fouled with mankind's garbage, more whales are dying from eating it.
"There are certainly far more incidences presently that have resulted as a product of marine debris in the environment," said Dr. Michelle Blewitt, the program director for Australia's Microplastic Assessment Project in an interview with the SBS. "And we’re hearing more and more of this. Because marine litter in the world's ocean is a significant problem at the moment.
"We are seeing whether it's a small piece of litter, or large bags, that animals are ingesting it around the world," she continued. "It comes down to us as consumers to make those positive choices in life, not only for eliminating single-use plastics out of our life but also when you're at the beach or near any kind of waterway, anywhere in the world is to pick up and take your rubbish with you."