Good Morning Australia!! - The phone bill from hell - Hong Kong stands up to Beijing - Could a pro-democracy movement be taking root in a repressive corner of the world? - And more in your CareerSpot Global News Briefs:

More than a million people took to Hong Kong's streets to protest the proposed extradition law that would allow suspects to be sent to China to face trial.  It was the biggest protest since control of the territory was handed off from the British to Beijing, which is gradually moving away from its promise of "One China, Two Systems".  Despite the blazing heat and official disdain, people kept turning out - but at the end of the day, there were violence clashes with police as protesters tried to enter parliament.

Kazakhstan police detained hundreds of people in "unsanctioned" protests against the snap elections, which the critics say are not free or fair.  Reporters in Kazakhstan's capital Nur-Sultan and its largest city Almaty witnessed scores of people being hustled onto police buses.  Kassym Jomart-Tokayev, a former director-general of the United Nations Office in Geneva, appears to be the winner with 70 percent of the vote.  The opposition says that was a predetermined outcome.

Sudan's opposition is calling for civil disobedience and a general strike because the military won't give up power.  Shops are closed, streets are empty of retail activity.

A search is underway for the passenger who went overboard from the Norwegian Epic cruise ship just hours after it set off from Cannes, France to Palma de Mallorca, Spain.   The 63-year-old Korean woman was traveling with her husband and reportedly left their cabin at 1:00 AM local time to get some fresh air.  The head of the area maritime search and rescue confirmed that a check of the ship's security cameras show her going overboard, but they did not specify exactly how it happened.

A Canadian woman is fighting the stupidest phone bill in the country's history.  Bell MTS insists that Nadine Speir is responsible for the AU$66,000 bill, even though it's very apparent that her line had been hacked by fraudsters - all of the calls were to the Philippines and Cuba.  The company says it warned Speir twice that her third-party system was vulnerable to hacking, but she insists that she never got those warnings.  "I don't remember that ever happening, ever taking place," she says. "It doesn't make any sense to me."  The phone company offered to reduce the bill by $17,000, which Ms. Speir rejects because she never made the calls in the first place.  "I just want it to be over," she said. "I've got more important things to do, running my business, and this just takes a lot of energy." since coming forward, Speir says she has been contacted by others who are fighting ridiculous bills from Bell MTS.